Halloween Day 3

Moderators: Community Manager, Moderators, Developers

Seamist
Gardener

26. Oct 2018, 22:34

Never walk under a Ladder : Backstory- Depending on your background, a ladder leaning against a wall can represent an honest day's work, a textbook geometry problem, or symbol of the Holy Trinity that, if breached, will damn your soul. That last bit is what some ancient Christians believed-that any triangle represented the Trinity, and disrupting one could summon the Evil One. These days, our under-ladder phobia is a smidge more practical: Avoid it because you might get beaned by falling tools, debris or aneven less lucky human.
IBLack
Fearn

26. Oct 2018, 23:24

You can not spill the salt - to a quarrel. Salt was an expensive spice in the Middle Ages in my homeland, if its houses were spilled randomly, then a quarrel could arise over it. Superstition has reached our time that if you spill salt, there will be a quarrel.
Alice MG Magoia name )
carlavv
Shaman

27. Oct 2018, 01:50

Holding your breath when you pass a cemetery.
This is typically attributed to the connection between breathing and life. In some Native American cultures breathing near the dead was risky because you might inhale somebody’s soul.
AngelDragonWings
Cuddle

27. Oct 2018, 02:40

i was always told not to walk under a ladder as it meant that workmen were using it and they often balanced tools on the rungs and they might fall and hurt you
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible"
Tenzin Gyatso
Cikala
Gardener

27. Oct 2018, 02:47

Don't eat lettuce if you want to have children

In the 19th century, English men avoided salads if they wanted to start a family. In The Oxford Dictionary of Superstitions a book on 'Plant Lore' suggests that lettuce was detrimental to child-bearing because it was a 'sterile' plant, and "as plants exhibited peculiarities in their actions, so were they supposed to operate on man".
Sanfordnc
Fearn

27. Oct 2018, 03:55

It has been known to be bad luck if you walk under an opened ladder. Another one is, if you drop a spoon on the floor, you will have company soon, from the direction the handle is pointing.
Nykane
Squishem

27. Oct 2018, 03:55

I've heard the superstition that bad news comes in 3s. According to a site I found there are a few theories behind this one. One ties to the holy trinity of father, son, and holy ghost or spirit, with the notion that important things (good and bad) come in threes. The second is that three establishes a pattern. Something happening once could be random, twice could just be chance, but three times means something. Sure enough last week my car broke down, the next day the power went out, and then I got sick.
MazMazzifyMaz
Herb Witch

27. Oct 2018, 03:59

Lighting 3 cigarettes from one match is said to be bad luck.
This arose from the wars such as the Crimean war where the soldiers thought that by the time the third cigarette was ready to be lit the enemy would have seen the light from the match and was ready to fire. Hmmmmmm!!! Ready Set Go.
There is always a hidden owl in knowledge
gerd.
Squishem

27. Oct 2018, 04:17

The Friday the 13th

is in popular belief as a day on which many accidents can happen. In individual cases, this phobia can lead to the extent that people affected by it cancels planned trips and appointments or do not dare to get up on a Friday, the 13th.
Mara Ver'dusk
Fearn

27. Oct 2018, 04:19

Wooden Leg, 1923
It was considered very lucky to walk out of your house and see a man with a wooden leg. Never look back having passed him however, for that would bring a disappointment that day.

"Freedom from superstition is not necessarily a form of wisdom"
Robert Lynd