What is Thankgiving?

Moderators: Community Manager, Moderators, Developers

AlizAlizA
Herb Witch

28. Nov 2019, 00:20

What is your Thanksgiving all about? What do you do? What do you eat? Tell us everything you can about your Thank giving.

This game will go for 48 hours

REMEMBER!!!!
Christmas games start on the 1st and go through to the 25th. Yes, prizes everyday for 25 days. :D :)
“Always be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn…. Then always be a unicorn!”
AngelDragonWings
Cuddle

28. Nov 2019, 02:50

we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here in Oz.

"Thanksgiving Day is a national holiday celebrated on various dates in the United States, Canada, some of the Caribbean islands, and Liberia. It began as a day of giving thanks and sacrifice for the blessing of the harvest and of the preceding year. Similarly named festival holidays occur in Germany and Japan."
From Wikipedia

I love what i hear about it. for me i love the way families all get together and are thankful for everything they have. it is so nice to be thankful. it becomes easy to take stuff for granted.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible"
Tenzin Gyatso
Splashes127
Squishem

28. Nov 2019, 05:30

I'm from the US so it's definitely a holiday we celebrate. Today I heard a woman who shared a personal story: awhile back she had hosted a foreign exchange student for only NINE days because this student was curious about this holiday that was "all about food" and wanted to experience it for themselves. LOL.

I do my best to remind myself to be grateful every day, but Thanksgiving is a time for us to specifically recognize and give thanks for ALL our blessings. So we celebrate it with friends and family with lots of yummy food to feast upon: turkey, stuffing, potatoes, my Uncle's can't-be-imitated gravy, pumpkin pie... my family is also Filipino so we'll also have rice and "pancit" (= noodles) as well as other side dishes.

We'll all gather around the table to say a prayer for all we're thankful for, including family and friends present or not and the food in front of us, before we dig in. Thanksgiving is like Christmas in our family (lots of food and family) but without the exchange of presents. :D
Mazzy-Maz
Shaman

28. Nov 2019, 08:03

Australians do not celebrate Thanksgiving and I wish we did. it seems to be just one big family, friends, food and fun with out the stress and expense of presents. I think it is wonderful.

Happy Thanksgiving
Be kind, it shows in your eyes.
Mel
Cuddle

28. Nov 2019, 08:11

We used to bind harvest crowns with braided ears and decorate them with crops.
I was always with a school friend who had even a farm. We only helped with the harvest, so on the fields still by hand e.g. Potatoes collected that the machine had not captured.
For Thanksgiving even we have just made the harvest crowns, the mother of my school friend has cooked all sorts of delicious things and baked, the father has collected in a field everything for a big fire. In the evening we sat together in the big barn on straw bales, ate, sang together (some could play the guitar), the elders told many stories from earlier.
It was always a great day when you went to bed late in the night tired. Today we do not celebrate Thanksgiving anymore, it's a pity.
On the way from school to today, much of my english has been lost, sorry .....
Lorelei3
Shaman

28. Nov 2019, 08:12

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving Day, but I know that this official holiday associated with Pilgrims and Native Americans has come to symbolize intercultural peace, America’s opportunity for newcomers, and the sanctity of home and family.

Happy Thanksgiving to all celebrating it!
Paizw
Squishem

28. Nov 2019, 08:22

Thanks for the wonderfully informing post Mel!!
& Lorelei, I surely agree! :)

in South Europe it is not celebrated either, as such! :)

I always find it a wonderful way of being dedicated to Greatfulness & Thankfulness

We have so much / given so abundantly in Life so just a day - or even a wholehearted Moment for acknowledging & Respecting in Greatfulness !!! :)
Just saying!
willow
Fearn

28. Nov 2019, 09:05

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving although there are churches which do celebrate the harvest, saying that I do have many things I'm thankful for, such as waking every morning, my family being safe, having a roof over our heads and food on the table, and many other things, Happy Thanksgiving :D
ElsjeFiederelsje
Squishem

28. Nov 2019, 09:45

Thanksgiving - We had Dankdag (thankyouday) on the 6th of November. (Always the first wednesday in November). We say thanks to the Lord for the harvest (in church).
Gwink
Squishem

28. Nov 2019, 10:23

From the UK, so its Harvest earlier in the year. Happy thanksgiving to those that do celebrate :-)